Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Let The Savings Begin!

Some friends of mine at church have started cutting coupons and have really been saving quite a bit of money here lately. I am all about saving money so I thought that I would give it a try. I have never been one to cut coupons because 9 times out of 10 I forget that I have cut them and they expire. Then, instead of just wasting money, I have also wasted time. But I have been thinking a lot about it and I have a strategy on how to do such things and thanks to Claire and Beth's inspiration, I have already saved $20. So my plan goes as follows:

1. Cut coupons throughout the week and on Sunday.
2. Sunday afternoon, gather all of my coupons together and make my grocery list.
3. Plan out my meals for the week keeping my coupons in mind.
4. Monday, head to the store/ stores for major savings.
Now Claire and Beth are hosting a class at church on Sunday night about coupon savings so I know they will have some more tips for me, but until then, this is how it's going to go in the Bates house!

BTW... just in case you were wondering what I saved my money on (I am sure so many of you are) I bought 6 steaks (we had company last night) and 8 fresh pieces of corn (with the shuck) regular would be $40.42, but I got everything for $20.63. I was so excited. I have also started writing it down when I save. I am big on when I am starting something, I like to see the results of it.

3 comments:

Claire said...

Let me know where you found coupons for meat and produce that saved you $20. I can't ever seem to find them in the paper or online. Most everything I find coupons for is non-perishable. I could be saving even more if I had those...

Anonymous said...

Isn't this fun? Its like a game to see how much you can save. I owe my success to Claire though, she got me started! :)

Lindsay Adkins said...

that's awesome britt!!! I've been using coupons for a little while now, but i haven't started using the paper yet, and now i'm going to have to, b/c i'm missing out on a lot of extra coupons!!!! I too would like to know what coupons you used for the steaks and corn, that's awesome!